What Is Prediabetes?
- Prediabetes is when your blood sugars are higher than normal, but not high enough to be diagnosed as type 2 diabetes
- About 25% of people with prediabetes develop full-blown diabetes in 3 to 5 years
- Lifestyle change programs can help you reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by as much as 58%
- About 90% of American adults are unaware that they have prediabetes
Prediabetes Can Lead To Serious Health Problems
- Heart Attack
- Kidney Failure
- Loss of Toes, Feet, or Legs
How Can I Find Out If I’m At Risk?
- Take the diabetes risk evaluation (to the right)
- Talk to your Doctor about conducting a blood test
If You’re At Risk, Here Is The Good News!
- Diabetes can be prevented or delayed with a few lifestyle changes
- The GemCare Wellness Diabetes Prevention Program is approved by the Center for Disease Control
- The program helps participants learn the skills they need to make lasting changes such as losing a modest amount of weight, being more physically active, and managing stress
We Have The Experts
- Registered Dietitians implement the program as well as provide continuous guidance and encouragement throughout the program
- A Certified Diabetes Educator is available as needed in addition to the full staff of Registered Dietitians at GemCare Wellness
Program Based On Research
- The GemCare program is based on research(pdf) led by the National Institutes of Health
- The program helped people with prediabetes lose 5% to 7% of their body weight by making modest changes and reduced their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58%
- People who completed a diabetes prevention program were 1/3 less likely to develop type 2 diabetes in the future
- The program is also available via individual counseling at home for a small fee
- Check with your insurance company – some plans cover prediabetes prevention
- Location: Barlow Community Center – 41 S Oviatt Street, Hudson, OH 44236.